Lettings Service

1. Information for Landlords

Our fee structure is simple. We follow a NO LET NO FEE policy. If we do not secure a tenant you do not pay a penny. For the full management service we charge £150 includes vat for finding the tenant. This covers our advertising costs. We charge 12% inc vat (10% plus vat) management fee each month. There are no other fees. This is an all inclusive package. No advertising fees, no inventory fees, no tenancy renewal fees unlike many agents, no more additional fees. Simple.

We also offer a LET only service if desired.

Guide for Landlords

Before a property can be let, there are several matters which the owner will need to deal with to ensure that the tenancy runs smoothly, and also that he/she complies with the law. If you require further advice or assistance with any matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.


If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee's written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us. We will assume this has been done unless you advise us otherwise.


You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. An important aspect of your buildings and contents cover is your Pubic Liability Insurance, please ensure your policy includes such cover. Failure to inform your insurers you are letting your property will invalidate your insurance. We can provide information on Landlords Legal Protection and Landlord's Buildings and Contents insurance if required.

Council Tax

Council tax is the responsibility of the occupier. You should inform your local council tax office that you are leaving the property. During vacant periods the charge reverts to the owner. Calderdale Council, since April 2013, charge 100% for empty properties from the day they become empty.

The Inventory

It is most important that a record of the property condition is made in order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of the tenancy. Without such safeguards, it will be impossible for the landlord to prove any loss, damage or significant deterioration of the property or contents. We take digital photographs of the property and provide the tenants with a copy. This provides an excellent record of the property condition prior to occupation and can be used as a point of reference to identify any dilapidations.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Since October 2008 landlords have to provide tenants with an EPC, this is a legal requirement coming from EU legislation. There are penalties in place if the legislation is not complied with. The aim is to provide tenants with a formal assessment of the energy efficiency of a domestic dwelling. This must be carried out prior to marketing the property. We are able to arrange this for you if requested. The good news, it is valid for 10 years once completed for rental properties.

Income Tax

When the landlord is resident in the UK, it is entirely his responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, where the landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy, under new rules effective from 6 April 1996, unless an exemption certificate is held, we as landlord's agents are obliged to retain and forward to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental received. An application form for exemption from such deductions is available from the Inland Revenue. Further information about the Non Resident Landlord Scheme is available at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nr_landlords.htm

Important Safety Regulations

The following safety requirements are the responsibility of the owner (the landlord).

Gas Appliances & Equipment

Annual safety check: Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 all gas appliances and flues in rented accomodation must be checked for safety within 12 months of being installed, and thereafter at least every 12 months by a competent engineer (e.g. a GAS SAFE registered gas installer).

Electrical Appliances & Equipment

There are several regulations relating to electrical installations, equipment and appliance safety, and these affect landlords and their agents in that they are 'supplying in the course of business'. They include the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the 2005 Building Regulation - 'Part P, and British Standard BS1363 relating to plugs and sockets. Although with tenanted property there is currently no specific legal requirement for a qualified electrician to carry out an inspection and issue a safety certificate (as exists in the case of gas appliances), it is now widely accepted in the letting industry that the only safe way to ensure safety, and to avoid the risk of being accused of neglecting your 'duty of care', is to arrange such an inspection and certificate. We can arrange this for you if requested.

Furniture & Furnishings

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989, 1993 & 1996) provide that specified items supplied in the course of letting property must meet minimum fire resistant standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, and beds, headboards and mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions, pillows, and non-original covers for furniture. They do not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, bed clothes including duvets, loose covers for mattresses, pillowcases, curtains, carpets or sleeping bags. Therefore all relevant items as above must be checked for compliance, and non-compliant items removed from the premises. In practice, most (but not all) items which comply must have a suitable permanent label attached. Items purchased since 01/03/1990 from a reputable supplier are also likely to comply.

Peter David Properties

General Product Safety

The General Product Safety Regulations 1994 specify that any product supplied in the course of a commercial activity must be safe. In the case of letting, this would include both the structure of the building and its contents. Recommended action is to check for obvious danger signs - leaning walls, broken glass, sharp edges etc., and also to leave operating manuals or other written instructions about high risk items, such as hot surfaces, electric lawnmowers, etc. for the tenant.

Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

From October 2015 you must fit a smoke alarm to every floor of the property (battery or mains). We will test this when we perform the inventory and then it is the tenants responsibility to regularly test and replace batteries throughout the tenancy. Where there is a solid fuel fire or stove a carbon monoxide detector must be installed.

Legionella Risk Assessment

We will carry out an initial risk assessment as part of our management package, at no extra charge, at the start of each tenancy. A few simple steps can significantly reduce the risk of Legionella in low risk properties. In higher risk properties a specialist may needed but we will advise you if this is required.  We also provide tenants with a Legionella Advice Sheet to reduce the risks.

Preparing the Property for Letting

We have found from experience that a good relationship with tenants is the key to a smooth-running tenancy. Our policy of offering a service of quality and care therefore extends to our tenants too, and we are pleased to recommend properties to rent which conform to certain minimum standards. Quality properties attract quality tenants.

General condition

Electrical, gas, plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems must be safe, sound and in good working order. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord's expense unless misuse can be established.


Similarly, appliances such as a washing machine, fridge freezer, cooker, dishwasher etc. should be in usable condition. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord's expense unless misuse can be established. We strongly recommend you ensure any appliances provided are PAT tested on an annual basis to ensure they are safe. We can arrange this for you if requested.


Interior decorations should be in good condition, and preferably plain, light and neutral.


It is recommended that you leave only minimum furnishings, and these should be of reasonable quality. It is preferable that items to be left are in the property during viewings. If you are letting unfurnished, we recommend that the property contains carpets, curtains, and a cooker.

Personal items, ornaments etc

Personal possessions, ornaments, pictures, books etc. should be removed from the premises, especially those of real or sentimental value. Some items may be boxed, sealed and stored in the loft at the owner's risk. All cupboards and shelf space should be left clear for the tenant's own use.


Gardens should be left neat, tidy and rubbish free, with any lawns cut. Tenants are required to maintain the gardens to a reasonable standard, provided they are left the necessary tools. However, few tenants are experienced gardeners, and if you value your garden, or if it is particularly large, you may wish us to arrange maintenance visits by our regular gardener.


At the commencement of a tenancy the property must be in a thoroughly clean condition, and at the end of each tenancy it is the tenant's responsibility to leave the property in a similar condition. Where they fail to do so, cleaning should be arranged at their expense.

Mail forwarding

We recommend that you make use of the Post Office redirection service. Application forms are available at their counters and the cost is minimal. It is not the tenant's responsibility to forward mail.

Information for the tenant

It is expected that you leave information for the tenant on operating the central heating and hot water system, washing machine and alarm system, and the day the refuse is collected etc.


You should provide one set of keys for each tenant. Where we are managing we will arrange to have duplicate keys cut as required.

2. Information for Tenants

We let, rent and manage furnished and unfurnished properties throughout the Calderdale area.

Please note -

Guide for Tenants

Finding a property

The first step is to contact us to provide brief details about yourself and about the accomodation you require. We then search our database for suitable properties for you to view. If not urgent, we log your details so that we can contact you as suitable properties become available. It is wise to start looking about a month before you wish to move, as properties are viewed and reserved quickly. Our tenancies are granted for a minimum term of 6 months.


Viewings will be arranged at times to suit you, including weekends. You will be accompanied by a member of staff who can give advice and answer any questions you may have.

Applying for the property

Once you have decided on a property you will need to complete a tenant application form. This can be done online. Please contact our office for details.


As a minimum we require satisfactory references from your employer, and a previous or current landlord. We may also require a personal reference, and sometimes a guarantor. In addition a credit check will be undertaken. We will require photo ID from all applicants. Appropriate visa details will be required if you are not an EU citizen.


Rents are normally quoted calendar monthly, and payable monthly in advance usually on the first of the month. The tenant is usually also responsible for council tax, water rates, gas, electricity, TV licence and telephone bills if applicable. All rents are payable by standing order to our bank account.


A deposit must be paid. This is held by the DPS to cover damage, breakages, rent arrears and any other liabilities under the terms of your tenancy agreement. Please note that under no circumstances can the deposit be used by the tenant to cover rent.


We charge a non refundable fee of £30 per applicant to cover credit check and referencing costs. If you are successful with your application and you take a property a single, one off processing fee of £150 is payable to cover the legal paperwork and inventory / check out work, but only payable if you are successful and move into a property with us. This processing fee is a SINGLE payment. NOT per tenant.

We DO NOT charge tenancy renewal fees like many other agents.

We operate a tenant loyalty scheme whereby if you move from one property with Peter David to another with Peter David you pay NO FEES. An acknowledgement that we like to keep good tenants within the business.


We have a designated repairs coordinator to ensure repairs and maintenance are carried out promptly. We understand that one of the main complaints tenants have against landlords is disrepair. As an agent we will act to ensure repairs are done within a reasonable time period, keeping you updated at all times.

Contents Insurance

We recommend that you consider having contents insurance to not only protect your belongings but also your deposit. If you have an accident which causes damage to the landlord’s carpet, for example, contents insurance including accidental damage will enable you to claim for damage and protect any claim on your deposit . Further details are available on request.